Friday, May 21, 2010

Bloggers Spring Quilt Festival~

Today is the day! :-)

Lots of wonderful quilts and quilt stories all over blogland! Go to Amy's Creative Side to join in the fun! And then look at all the links to wonderful quilts! A girl could sit and dream at her computer allll weekend!! ;-)

I was digging around nicely looking through ;-) my quilt cupboard this morning and decided to show y'all this one~ it is a quilt of many firsts! :-)About six years ago I hosted a block swap for red/white Monkey Wrench blocks. Any red print and any white-on-white could be used for the blocks. I had no idea what I would do with my blocks, but my love affair with red/white quilts began then! I love red and white together! :-)

This is the first quilt that I put all my playing around with my Electric Quilt program to use. I don't remember if it was EQ 5 or EQ6, but I do remember that shortly after I had the parts for the top sewn together, our computer crashed, so I don't have a pattern anymore.

At the time, my design wall was our bed, so I made lots of trips from the bed to my sewing machine and back to bed again. LOL Maybe that is why I got the top together so much faster than I do now! ;-)

I quilted it myself during one of the first times I rented a longarm. I used a panto of butterflies and loops.
I used an allover red/white print for the back. At the time I had enough left for pillow cases, but I inadvertently used it for something else. :-/ Now I mark fabric's that I'm using in a project. ;-)

This quilt just makes me smile~ all those firsts wrapped up in blocks made by my friends. :-) I hope you enjoyed my little story too.

Thank you Amy for the fun festival! Now hop on over and start looking at great quilts!

Until next time~
Happy stitchin'!

35 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Red & white is a classic combo & you got a great selection of nicely made block in that exchange.

janet said...

Beautiful job! It's fun to read about all those firsts.
I too am guilty of using fabric that was supposed to be for one thing, for something else entirely;)

Sinta Renee said...

Fun & classic! I love that block and the alternate block setting. That's a really nice design! Thanks for sharing your work!!!

Dresden Quilter said...

This is gorgeous! I love the pattern you made.

Michelle said...

I'm loving the red & white! Very nice!

Barb said...

Wow, it is really wonderful...

Unknown said...

I love quilts that are a first or have some meaning attached! I love red and whites too!

Dandelion Quilts said...

I love quilts that are made in red.

Pattilou said...

Really nice quilt. I haven't figured out how to do EQ yet. I've got an EQ5, but just begun playing--it seems I like to vision them in my head and then try the fabric. Hopeless--but I admire the fact that you did all that on EQ. And the quilt turned out great!

Angela said...

I really like the two color combo, and the two block combination! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing it!

Mom said...

Love the red & white!

margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Can't go wrong with red and white and this one is a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

I love it! Red and white quilts are fun. Its great that you designed it yourself and did the quilting as well. Good job.

Anonymous said...

I sure enjoyed your story, because I can still hear your love and excitement over this beautiful quilt!

Karen said...

I think everyone likes a red & white quilt. Yours is no exception. Well done.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Two colour quilts in a classic pattern are wonderful, and timeless. Gorgeous quilt Sandie!

Carol said...

Fun quilt. Beautifully done.

paulette said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Good for you!
Paulette

Béa said...

Very beautiful, love the block & the classic look in red & white.Congrats Sandie !

Sharon said...

A beautiful quilt....I love red and white together!
Using your bed for a "design wall" makes it easy to know if it will fit the bed!
I'm about to start a blue and white churn dash quilt!

Denise said...

Great quilt!

Retrogirl said...

Your red & white combo looks AMAZING!!

georgie said...

I can see why you love red and white it makes me want to make something in red and white it's absolutely lovely and I shall add it to my list of future makes.
Happy quilting
Georgie x

Leslie said...

this is beautiful.

Rose said...

I had to enlarge this and study to see how it was made...wonderful design.

See my entry HERE.

Cami said...

This turned out fantastic! I love the red and white combo.

Kathy said...

The red and white monkey wrench blocks sure look nice when set together in your quilt. What a lovely and classic quilt you have made.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

That quilt just makes me smile, too! It's so pretty! Love the design - and the red and white fabric!

Karen said...

You can never tire of looking at a red and white quilt like yours. It is so lovely.

Michelle said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love your design. Having paler reds in some of the secondary blocks, really shows the primary blocks off, but maintains interest in the secondary blocks too. And I always like a scrappy quilt, even a color controlled one. :-)

prashant said...

It's fun to read about all those firsts.
post free classified ads

Sandra said...

What a cheery quilt and it has such a vintage c. 1910 look to it.
Thanks for sharing.

Come see my antique quilt entries
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

QuiltSue said...

I love it - the colours and the setting.

bingo~bonnie said...

gosh was that 6 years ago??? really??? wow. time flies when you're having fun :P

not this year - but next year when I'm back to maybe doing swaps again... you're gonna have to choose another block and do another red/white swap - b/c I soooo love them! ;) and I want one... and doing X of the same and swapping them is the easiest way to get a variety.

Your quilt is beautiful :) Love the backing too!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Eileen said...

red and white are always a lovely combination and this one is great! so fun you have blocks from many friends. thanks so much for sharing.

B-r-r-r-r

Who knew that having a Halloween Hop last week would bring the chilly weather?! We had rain, wind--- the power even went out for a few hours...