Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bits Of Sewing~

Thank you to everyone for your help with my pillow case! I do think it is 30's fabric, but still not sure if it is from a feed sack, flour sack etc. I may never know~ but I'm going to enjoy using it in my blocks! :-)


I am doing bits of sewing and finished my DJ blocks for the week. The top one is I-3 Family Album, and the lower one is G-11 Decisions, Decisions. I need to make a few decisions too~ so far I've just been making the blocks with whatever fabric strikes my fancy and collecting them in a pile. I need a better system! I don't want to end up with 3 blocks of the same colors side by side, so I need to plot & plan and keep track of what color the blocks are. :-/ I have the EQ program, but seem to lose my design frequently, so I don't think I should rely on it totally. How does everyone else store their blocks and keep track of their colors? Are you making a DJ? or have you? I'd appreciate it if you would tell me your system. :-)

I also got the next block for the Jelly Roll Quilt Along completed. It is called Chain Link.

That's all the news from here~
Until next time~
Happy stitchin'! :-)

4 comments:

Quilt Monkey said...

Your DJ blocks looks so tiny next to the 12" block!!

Some people have elaborate systems for storing their DJ blocks! I think my system is fairly simple. I have only made about 12 so far, so I just have them all in one zip top bag. As I make more, I'll probably have one bag per row. As a color guide, before I started, I made a big grid (13 squares by 13 squares) in the computer and printed it out several times. Then I took colored pencils representing each color of fabric I had decided to use and colored the squares in a trip-around-the-world pattern. Once I got a color placement I liked, I saved it and use that as a guide for knowing color of fabric to use when I make each block. I don't have many blocks done, but I did manage to make one the wrong color already! Even so, I think this is a system that will work for me.

Good luck! Your blocks are beautiful!

Angela said...

I like Quilt Monkey's idea about coloring in a grid - on my 1800s red/blue quilt, I am trying to alternate, although I am not too worried about a few of the same colors touching, as I don't really want it to be so planned that it is *every other block*.
I just posted my blocks this week, certainly not perfect points, but getting better!
I really should be doing those Jelly Roll blocks too... :o)
Your blocks all look great!

Needled Mom said...

I can see how they would need some organization. It is fun to see them all coming together.

Dresden Quilter said...

Great blocks. DJ is on my wish list. I just have so many other things to finish first.

B-r-r-r-r

Who knew that having a Halloween Hop last week would bring the chilly weather?! We had rain, wind--- the power even went out for a few hours...