
I have been embroidering all my life~ well, off and on. ;-) My DGM taught me and the first thing I did was sew my piece onto my jeans! Oh how I hated to have all those stitches snipped out!! :-o I think I finished the dishtowel I was working on, but didn't pick up that floss again for years! Then, when I was first married, my friend got me hooked on cross-stitching. I stitched and stitched! I still have a few things from that time~ esp Christmas ornaments--we did those by the dozens. :-) I stored my floss in these little ribbon rolls~ and it worked quite well, so I didn't see a need to change. My friend encouraged me to switch to the bins and wind my floss on the little 'spools', but I stuck with my rolls. It wasn't until one of our moves when a roll went missing that I thought again about the bin, but by then cross-stitching had taken a definite backseat to quilting. ;-) Well the other day when I went to get a few more skeins of floss for the Willowberry BOM, what hopped into my cart but the little plastic box! :-o I've been winding my floss on the 'spools' at night~ it goes pretty fast. When I mentioned to my friend that I was finally converting to a little box, she said 'oh, I have 4 of those~ I really like them!' 4??! :-) Here I thought I was making such progress with one! LOL
My friend gave me this project organizer as a gift when we stitched non-stop. It was great for cross-stitching~ a pocket for my book and hoop, the large clip for the floss to hook onto the rings,
the see thru pocket for needles and what-nots and a scissors place. But now I've converted it to my embroidery organizer. The big clip works great for the little spool thingy's. ;-) I love it!So how do you store floss? Now that I'm finally switching to the boxes, did I miss something? Is there an new & improved way? :-) Not that I'll switch again for a long time~ LOL :-)
Until next time~
Happy Stitchin'! :-)
6 comments:
I use the 'Floss Away Bags'. I just pop the sken into the little zip lock bag and it's good to go. I pull out what i need, put what I didn't use back into the bag - even really little pieces and I love it!!
I have even put a threaded needle into the bag (I have a little piece of material with it!) to just grab when I've needed it again when I have done a project with alot of colour changes. I have never wound my floss, I just love the bags. they stay clean, organized and I am glad I found them so many, many years ago.... way to many years ago!!
I use a big box, put the number of the floss on a little sticker, wrap the floss around and then have them in numerical order. All nice and neat. Happt Day!
Both methods of storing your floss looks good to me as mine all just get jumbled into a box... Does it work for me? NO! I may have to take your lead... 8-)
Great project organizer!
Happy stitchings!
hahaha Great minds think alike!!! Check out what I did last weekend!? http://bingobonnie.blogspot.com/2009/03/color-me-happy.html
and we had to go to the big town last night to buy a new router and since I was driving I made a pit-stop by Joanns :D This time I had my list of colors for both Gail Pan's BOM and the Willowberry.. btu since they weren't on sale, I just bought 7 colors...
Funny how we're doing the same thing ea? ;) I still have about a dozen or so floss strands to wind up but I'm working on them night by night...
Love from Texas! ~bonnie
forgot to mention I just can't seem to find a good background fabric to use for the WIllowberry... I did buy just plain unbleached muslin for th eChristmas BOM b/c she mentioned she uses a white thread in some of them.. Did you know that KONA has a $12.99/yard muslin that feels like budda!!! I used my 40% off on a 2 yard cut so I'll be using the good stuff ;) for the Christmas Wishes.. Just got to print them off and trace them on he light box ;)
I need to look at your photo again - but i found that using mailing address label sticers cut up into 1/4s and wrapped aroudn the corners was best for labeling the color numbers... I did that first before winding the thread. ;)
Post a Comment