I chose these two because it is about time I learn to hand applique*! There are so many great patterns out there, and I've always avoided them. ;-) Although my first attempt isn't the greatest, I did learn a lot~ so hopefully February's block will be better. And if at the end of the year, I decide I can't live with January's block... well, I can always make another! ;-) And I chose the Verandah Views because I do like to embroider and it will give me a chance to do more than my go-to stitch, the stem stitch. :-)*Ok, about that hand applique~ I did it once before. A long time ago when I was young and had no clue what I was doing. I made this quilt for my oldest DS when he graduated from the crib to a twin bed. I painstakingly stitched each block. ~I am a lefty and a needle felt very awkward in my hand!~ Then once I had the top together, I thought 'what if they rip out when he is jumping on the bed?' So I went back and sewed with my sewing machine around each applique close to the edge! :-o Wrestling that whole quilt top to do it! :-o I know! I made twice the work for myself! And the fabrics were not 100% cotton, or even very good quality. Well, it didn't rip out! :-)) lol My Mom took pity on me, and she and her friends hand quilted it for my DS. :-)) After that, I thought 'I will never do hand applique again!' Well, you know what they say~ never say never!! :-))
Until next time~
Happy Stitchin'!!
5 comments:
I just love the Bunny Hill BOM! I haven't started the VV one yet, but I'm saving them for when I want to start it. Practice definitely helps to improve your hand applique. Have you considered taking a class?? Just an idea...
Oh, your farm quilt is just as cute as can be -- a real heirloom!
I'm just 'saving' the BOMs so far.
Jeanne
I'm doing the bunny hill one, too. I just got all my wools washed today, because I decided to do it in wool applique, which I've become very fond of recently. It will be fun to compare all the versions of this, as I know some people are doing it as stitchery blocks, too!
your farm quilt is sooo CUTE!!!
I've been downloading and saving the bunny hill one also - I like that they can be either redwork or applique :) but I had forgotten about the Willowberry Designs!
Thanks for giving that link!!!
I just saved block 2 and see that she's listed all the colors for the year! :) Maybe that one will be a project one day. Did you see her photo of her thread box???
I bought a second scan of DMC #321 for my redwork yesterday after my Dr's appointment before returning home... and for the first time noticved they sell the "new" DMC colors by the boxes... guess what I'll be using my 40% coupons for in the future? LOL :) Now I have to have a DMC stash too! LOL
Love from Texas!! and Happy Valentines! ~bonnie
Oh, I love baskets and also calendar quilts, and also free BOMs! Could it get any better??? Thanks for posting this link. I've downloaded the first 2 months.
Post a Comment